Welcome to the website of the Croydon Astronomical Society
• Our observatory at Kenleywill unfortunately not be open tonight Sat 25th April, due to increasing cloud and possibly rain. It was last opened a week ago, when a total of 19 people attended. The next opening opportunity will be in a week's time.
• The next meeting at the Royal Russell School will be on Friday 8th May at 7:45 pm, when our society holds its Annual General Meeting.
• The Latest News page has new items (updated: 19th Mar).
• The Messier Marathon page has an introduction, guide and support items (updated: 19th Mar).
• The Events page has new events (updated: 18th March).
• The Astronomy page now has links to what can be seen in the night sky right now.
• The society publishes a journal illustrating current society news, events and astronomical observations etc. Please visit the Altair page for details on how to contribute.
We also have an observatory, above, near Kenley aerodrome CR8 5EP. There is also a clubhouse for visiting groups, a kitchen for hot drinks and wireless broadband internet. Schedule meetings here are on some Friday nights for members only, and any Saturday night it is clear for the public as well. We notify just below when this is the case. Parking is nearby, off-road in Hayes Lane just a couple of hundred metres to the south at the Royal Air Force Kenley Tribute.
Founded as the Croydon Group of the Junior Astronomical Society on 5th May 1956, and becoming the Croydon Astronomical Society in 1965.
The Society holds lecture evenings at the Royal Russell School, Coombe Lane, Croydon, Surrey CR9 5BX. These are held every other Friday during school term time. More information on dates and our lectures are in the Meetings page. Lectures start at 7:45 pm and finish around 10 pm. There is free parking and very good public transport links.
Our observatory at Kenleywill unfortunately not be open tonight Sat 25th April, due to increasing cloud and possibly rain. It was last opened a week ago, when a total of 19 people attended. The next opening opportunity will be in a week's time.